Full Stack Application Developer
Delta Systems is looking for a senior level Application Developer. You have a passion for making great products where form equals function. You should be comfortable working in an open-ended environment where roles are flexible, everything is always changing, and communication is essential. You’ll be part of a small, nimble team of designers and developers who love solving hard problems.
Columbia, MO (preferred – relocation stipend available)
Do you have a passion for helping companies? Are you skilled in WordPress, PHP, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Zend Framework? Delta Systems, a custom software development company headquartered in Columbia, Missouri with employees in 6 other States, offers an exciting environment working with modern technologies. As a rapid application development company, we minimize over-engineering and empower you to make decisions and manage tasks.
Typical daily activities
- Work alongside other senior developers while creating next-generation applications for a variety of devices.
- Take on challenging new projects which stimulate enthusiasm and personal growth. You and the team select the best tools for each challenge: high availability servers, cross-platform and cross-device development, API integrations, and all that falls in between.
- Design, evaluate, update, and maintain complicated database schemas in PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQL Server
- Influence management and team decisions for project solutions, team organization, and internal processes.
- Paid by the hour or salaried (let’s talk about your needs)
- Flex time – If you like working from 7am to 3pm, noon to 8pm, great!
- Health Insurance, ~80% paid by employer
- SIMPLE retirement plan with corporate matching
- Paid vacation
- Paid holidays
- Paid sick leave
- Free drinks, tea, coffee, snacks, and occasional lunches.
- Your choice of development environment: Linux, Mac, Windows – phpStorm, vim, whatever you’re good at
- We’ll pay for applicable certification exams – especially PHP and Zend
- Corporate subscription to resources like O’Reilly Media, Frontend Masters, Safari Books
- Enjoy “Virtual Tuesdays”; you can work from anywhere you want during a meeting-free day
- Casual dress code – jeans and t-shirts are just fine. When you are meeting with clients we expect business appropriate attire and demeanor.
What we look for in you
- 2 years of solid PHP and MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Experience with a MVC framework (Zend Framework, Cake, Symfony 2, CodeIgniter)
- Capabilities in working with WordPress
- The ability to translate business requirements into system design.
- Develop solutions based on organizational and users’ needs, strategies, and goals, including recommendations for improvements based on researching and evaluating web software.
- Successful track record collaborating with teams and resolving issues that arise
- Exceptional debugging skills
- Experience with Version Control Systems (subversion, github, bitbucket, etc)
Bonus Talents Sought
- Experience deploying to a load-balanced environment
- Ability to administer Linux servers running CentOS
- Familiarity with Xdebug
- Know your way around Amazon EC2, Amazon S3, Rackspace Cloud, etc.
- eCommerce platform experience (Magento, WooCommerce, etc)
- PHP, Zend Framework, and/or other certifications: If you’re not already certified, be expected to work towards obtaining some sort of certification. We’ll even pay for the first test.
Some additional thoughts
- We like to see examples of work. This means chunks of code that you’ve written as well as URLs to sites/systems that were built for school, work, practice, or a charity that you’re involved with.
- Include the URL to your personal site or GitHub account. We suggest creating one if you don’t already have one.
- We’re going to Google you. Our clients know how to Google people as well. We pride ourselves on professionalism and high ethical standards. We hire those that practice the same. If you do not have a web presence, then we strongly suggest making one. If you intend to work on building the Internet then we expect you to be a part of it and use it well.
- Contributions to StackOverflow.com show a willingness to help others and show off skills.
- Designers: Having a Dribbble.com account shows that your peers like your graphical skills.
- As a suggestion to applicants that are just getting started, working on projects on UpWork.com (formerly eLance/oDesk) or Guru.com or CodeChef.com show you’re anxious to be challenged and want to be paid for the effort. Start there to build up a body of work. When you have some under your belt that can be shared and you can share what you learned, please apply so we can discuss it.
- Full stack development spans many technologies: encompassing server administration, backend development, frontend development, and mobile application engineering. The ideal candidate has years of experience in each individual skill set on real world projects. While it’s known that a Jack of All Trades can master few, if none: the position calls for intermediate experience in each skill.
- Finally, we like to know how people keep up with changes in technology. All of us continue to learn from outside sources. We will want to know what sites you read, what industry experts you follow, what conferences you’ve been to or watched online, etc.
Since 1986, Delta has been building tracking systems for everything from napkins to insurance policies, from golf courses to hot dog ingredients, from horse ailments to yoga certifications, and from blood donors to paddlefish. Building online applications and data management systems that are intuitive and powerful is our specialty.
Delta Systems has been named “one of Mid-Missouri’s foremost web design and support firms” by the Columbia Daily Tribune and “a premier providers of computing solutions” by the Columbia Business Times.
Our employees enjoy many freedoms and benefits. We do group coding weekly for reviews and single-project focusing to knock out features, do some spec work, or just to put an app together to find and fix issues quickly. Free lunch-and-learn sessions provide opportunities for ongoing training.
Delta Systems employees exemplify professionalism in every aspect of client relations and work.
We’ve helped over 900 companies since 1986, here is a sample client list:
- McGraw-Hill Education
- Paramount Studios
- United Nations
- Harvard Business School
- Arm & Hammer (part of Church & Dwight [NYSE: CHD])
- University of Missouri
- University of California
- Shelter Insurance
- Agents National Title Insurance
- McAllister Software Systems (part of the Henry Schein Corporation [NASDAQ: HSIC])
- Earth’s Best (part of the Hain Celestial Group [NASDAQ: HAIN])
- Missouri State Teachers Association
- Several Chambers of Commerce
- Several Film Festivals
- Dozens of Startups