Delta Systems is looking for that rare individual that is an experienced Linux Systems Administrator and is also a full stack developer. This position is mainly responsible for installing, configuring, managing, and maintaining numerous cloud based servers for Delta Systems’ internal operations and client accounts. As a Full Stack Application Developer, you have a passion for making great products where form equals function. You should be comfortable working in an open-ended environment where roles are flexible, everything is always changing, and communication is essential. You’ll be part of a small team of designers and developers who love solving hard, complex problems.
The Ideal candidate will have a technical Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of experience in systems administration and 2+ years of web development.
Columbia, MO Headquarters (relocation stipend available)
System Admin Duties will include
- Setting up and maintaining Linux servers
- Installing and configuring services
- Setting up staging and production environments for websites/systems and migrating sites between the two
- Configuring DNS records
- Managing email accounts
- Monitoring servers using things like Collectd, Statsd, Graphite/Carbon, Grafana, Seyren, StatusCake
- Responding to and fixing server and website issues
- Assisting developers
- Developing DevOps-related applications
- Fixing/patching/upgrading code, plugins, extensions, and CMSs on existing websites as needed
- Automating processes
Required Systems Admin Skills
- Experience with infrastructure automation processes (Puppet, Chef, or other) and ability to write custom manifests, facts, and resources
- Experience with current virtualization technologies (Vagrant, Docker, etc)
- Experience with PHP and BASH (Python and Node are a plus)
- Experience with LAMP stack and RHEL/CentOS (PostgreSQL, MongoDB, git, WordPress, Magento, and BIND experience a plus)
- Passion for “security first” policies
- Ability to set up MySQL (and preferably PostgreSQL) replication
- Ability to troubleshoot issues on complex server environments, log tailing, etc
- Proficiency with common Linux tools such as rsync, strace, screen, grep, sed, xargs
- Experience with Nginx and how to quickly fix the dreaded 503 error
- Willingness to be on call for server issues
Bonus SysAdmin Skills
- Amazon Web Services experience
- Ability to analyze slow queries, and suggest improvements
- Proficiency configuring Grafana
- Experience with queue/caching technologies (RabbitMQ/ActiveMQ, memcache/varnish)
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Familiarity with process control and logging
- Experience with Expect, Ruby
- Experience with LAPP and LEMP stacks
- Experience with PagerDuty, G Suite, Rackspace Email, StatusCake
- Ability to estimate server requirements based on site traffic and software platform.
- Any relevant certifications like RHEL, RHCSA, etc
Typical daily activities
- Work alongside other senior developers while creating next-generation applications for a variety of devices.
- Take on challenging new projects which stimulate enthusiasm and personal growth. You and the team select the best tools for each challenge: high availability servers, cross-platform and cross-device development, API integrations, and all that falls in between.
- Design, evaluate, update, and maintain complex database schemas in PostgreSQL, MySQL and SQL Server
- Influence management and team decisions for project solutions, team organization, and internal processes.
Full Stack Developer Skill Requirements
- 2 years of solid PHP and MySQL/PostgreSQL
- Experience with a MVC framework (Zend Framework, Symfony 2, CodeIgniter)
- Capabilities in working with WordPress
- The ability to translate business requirements into system design.
- Develop solutions based on organizational and users’ needs, strategies, and goals, including recommendations for improvements based on researching and evaluating web software.
- Successful track record collaborating with teams and resolving issues that arise
- Exceptional debugging skills
- Experience with Version Control Systems (preferably git, bitbucket)
Bonus Dev Talents Sought
- Experience deploying to a load-balanced environment
- Familiarity with Xdebug
- Know your way around Amazon EC2, Amazon S3, Rackspace Cloud, etc.
- eCommerce platform experience (Magento, WooCommerce, etc)
- PHP, Zend Framework, and/or other related certifications: If you’re not already certified, be expected to work towards obtaining some sort of certification. We’ll pay for the first test.
- Paid by the hour or salaried (let’s talk about your needs)
- Flex time – If you like working from 7am to 3pm or 10am to 6pm, great!
- Health Insurance, ~85% paid by employer
- SIMPLE retirement plan with corporate matching
- Paid vacation, holidays, sick leave
- Free drinks, snacks, tea, coffee, and occasional lunches
- Our Columbia HQ has a pool table, air hockey, ping pong, darts, game consoles, couches, etc
- Convertible Sit/Standing desks and an office with a door (when available)
- Pet-friendly environment – if your pet is environment-friendly
- Multiple monitors (2,3,4) and your choice of development environment: Linux, Mac, Windows – or bring your own gear
- We’ll pay for an applicable certification exam
- Corporate subscription to resources like O’Reilly Media, Frontend Masters, Safari Books
- Enjoy occasional “Virtual Tuesdays”? you can work from anywhere you want without being disturbed by meetings
- Opportunities to work on startups
- We like to help the charities of your choice with their technical needs in various ways
- Casual dress code – jeans and t-shirts are just fine, but when you are meeting with clients we expect business-appropriate attire and demeanor.