Linux System Administrator
Delta Systems is looking for an experienced Linux Systems Administrator. This position reports to the Senior Systems Administrator and is responsible for installing, configuring, managing, and maintaining dozens of cloud based servers for Delta Systems’ internal operations and hundreds of client accounts.
Ideal candidate will have a technical Bachelor’s degree and 2+ years of experience in systems administration.
Duties will include
- Setting up and maintaining Linux servers
- Installing and configuring services
- Setting up staging and production environments for websites/systems and migrating sites between the two
- Configuring DNS records
- Setting up email accounts
- Responding to and fixing server and website issues
- Assisting developers
- Developing DevOps-related applications
- Fixing/patching/upgrading code, plugins, extensions, and CMSs on existing websites as needed
- Automating processes
Columbia, MO (preferred – relocation stipend available)
- Experience with infrastructure automation processes (Puppet, Chef, or other)
- Experience with current virtualization technologies (Vagrant, Docker, etc)
- Experience with queue/caching technologies (RabbitMQ/ActiveMQ, memcache/varnish)
- Experience with PHP and BASH (Python and Node are a plus)
- Experience with LAMP stack and RHEL/CentOS (NGINX, PostgreSQL, MongoDB, git, WordPress, Magento, and BIND experience a plus)
- Passion for “security first” policies
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Familiarity with process control and logging
- Any relevant certifications are a plus.
- Amazon Web Services
- Paid by the hour or salaried (let’s talk about your needs)
- Flex time – If you like working from 7am to 3pm or 3pm to 11pm, great!
- Health Insurance, 80% paid by employer
- SIMPLE retirement plan with corporate matching
- Dental / AFLAC – paid by employee (optional)
- Paid vacation, holiday, sick leave
- Free drinks, tea, coffee and occasional lunches.
- Your choice of development environment: Linux, Mac, Windows
- We’ll pay for applicable certification exams
- Enjoy “Virtual Tuesdays”; you can work from anywhere you want.
- Casual dress code – jeans and t-shirts are just fine. When you are meeting with clients we expect business appropriate attire and demeanor.
Some additional thoughts
- We like to see examples of work. This means chunks of code that you’ve written as well as URLs to sites/systems that were built for school, work, practice, or a charity that you’re involved with.
- Include the URL to your personal site or GitHub account. We suggest creating one if you don’t already have one.
- Eventually we’re going to Google you. Our clients know how to Google people as well. We pride ourselves on professionalism and high ethical standards. We hire those that practice the same. If you do not have a web presence, then we strongly suggest making one. If you intend to work on building the Internet then we expect you to be a part of it and use it well.
- Contributions to StackOverflow.com show a willingness to help others and show off skills.
- Designers: Having a Dribbble.com account shows that your peers like your graphical skills.
- As a suggestion to applicants that are just getting started, working on projects on UpWork.com (formerly eLance/oDesk) or Guru.com or CodeChef.com show you’re anxious to be challenged and want to be paid for the effort. Start there to build up a body of work. When you have some under your belt that can be shared and you can share what you learned, please apply so we can discuss it.
- Full stack development spans many technologies: encompassing server administration, backend development, frontend development, and mobile application engineering. The ideal candidate has years of experience in each individual skill set on real world projects. While it’s known that a Jack of All Trades can master few, if none: the position calls for intermediate experience in each skill.
- Finally, we like to know how people keep up with changes in technology. All of us continue to learn from outside sources. We will want to know what sites you read, what industry experts you follow, what conferences you’ve been to or watched online, etc.
Since 1986, Delta has been building tracking systems for everything from napkins to insurance policies, from golf courses to hot dog ingredients, from horse ailments to yoga certifications, and from blood donors to paddlefish. Building online applications and data management systems that are intuitive and powerful is our specialty.
Delta Systems has been named “one of Mid-Missouri’s foremost web design and support firms” by the Columbia Daily Tribune and “a premier providers of computing solutions” by the Columbia Business Times.
Our employees enjoy many freedoms and benefits. We do group coding weekly for reviews and single-project focusing to knock out features, do some spec work, or just to put an app together to find and fix issues quickly. Free lunch-and-learn sessions provide opportunities for ongoing training.
Delta Systems employees exemplify professionalism in every aspect of client relations and work.
We’ve helped over 900 companies since 1986, here is a sample client list:
- McGraw-Hill Education
- Paramount Studios
- United Nations
- Harvard Business School
- Arm & Hammer (part of Church & Dwight [NYSE: CHD])
- University of Missouri
- University of California
- Shelter Insurance
- Agents National Title Insurance
- McAllister Software Systems (part of the Henry Schein Corporation [NASDAQ: HSIC])
- Earth’s Best (part of the Hain Celestial Group [NASDAQ: HAIN])
- Missouri State Teachers Association
- Several Chambers of Commerce
- Several Film Festivals
- Dozens of Startups